Quilt Along By The Sea Block 3
Ahoy maties! There is a secret message in this Signal Flag Block designed by April Adams. You can find the block pattern on her website at JANDA Bend Quilts. This idea is so much fun that I might have to make signal flag name blocks for my grand kids.
My Version of Block 3
This is my version of April's Signal Flag Block. The fabric colors need to be standard for the flags so the background fabric is the only choice to be made. I went with a sky blue, obvious choice, and I love the graphic punch of the flags against the blue background.
My Tips for Block 3
- This is another fusible appliqué block pattern. You have had plenty of experience with that technique by now, right? We do promise that the blocks won't all be appliqué. The schedule just worked out this way.
- I found a fun decorative stitch on my machine to use for the rope. I enlarged the stitch and used black thread so it would show up at a distance.
- I used a mixture of appliqué stitches on the flags, some blanket stitch and some straight straight stitch.
More Tips from Hosts
Visit the other segment QAL hosts to get more tips. And don't forget to share your finished block. We love to see what you create!
Segment 1 Hosts
- Abbie Danahy @ Sparkle On!
- Becca Fenstermaker @ Pretty Piney Quilts
- Jennifer Fulton @ Inquiring Quilter
- Karen Thurn @ Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats
- Laura Piland @ Slice of Pi Quilts
- Sherry Shish @ Powered by Quilting
Dream Green 60" x 60" batting from Quilter's Dream. An earth friendly polyester batting made from 100% recycled plastic bottles!
A Fat Quarter fabric bundle of Island Batik "Kismet." This line by Tammy Silver of Tamarinis has a bohemian vibe with vibrant colors!
Six-month subscription to Make Modern, a magazine for quilters, by quilters, filled with beautiful patterns and articles to inspire quilters like us to make more modern quilts!
Plus a PDF pattern of your choice from these designers!