Sew Let's Quilt Along Block 3
It is time for Block 3 of the Sew Let's Quilt Along. This Ruler Block designed by Sherry Shish is a fun take on that all important quilter's ruler. You can find the complete block pattern and tutorial on her website at Powered by Quilting. If you are just discovering this quilt along you can find more information in my Sew Let's Quilt Along Introduction Post.
My go-to Blueberry Park fabrics didn't fit into this block so I went with solids: dark gray and green markings with a white background. I love way it turned out! The green brings to mind the coloring on my workhorse Omnigrip ruler.
My Tips for Block 3
- This block is a fun exercise in precision piecing with strips. I do love challenging piecing! It really is important to have an accurate 1/4" seam allowance to be able to line up the grid lines. I have a post on How to Sew an Accurate Quarter Inch Seam that might be useful.
- I found it helpful to note my color change on the pattern so I would be able to follow the instructions better. So everywhere the pattern said "black" I made a little "green" note.
- Be gentle in handling and pressing the strips so they don't stretch or distort. Starching the fabric before cutting adds a bit of stability.
- It was very helpful to create the labeled piles of the strips as Sherry suggested in the pattern. Then laying out the strips for assembly of the block was easy to manage.
- When you are assembling the block I recommend pinning each grid line intersection. They don't have to be perfect (mine certainly aren't) but you do want them to be close so the grid will look nice and square from a distance. If just one intersection slips out of line you can rip out the stitching an inch or so on each side and then just resew that intersection instead of the whole seam.
The absolute best thing is sharing and seeing what everyone is making. Even if you are not keeping up with the schedule or posting for the prize drawings we still want to see what you are making!
You will find announcements and plenty of other quilters to cheer you on in the Partners in Design Facebook Group.
On Instagram you should use #SewLetsQAL on your posts. Be sure to follow the hashtag so you can see what everyone else is making.
More Blocks and Tips from Hosts
Visit the hosts for this block to see a variety of sewing tips and fabric choices from the Partners in Design team.
Abbie Danahy @ Sparkle On!
April Adams @ JANDA Bend Quilts
Becca Fenstermaker @ Pretty Piney Quilts
Bobbi Bridgeman @ Snowy Days Quilting
Jennifer Fulton @ Inquiring Quilter
Karen Thurn @ Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats
Kathleen McCormick @ Kathleen McMusing
Sandra Healy @ Sandra Healy Designs
Sandy Maxfield @ SandyStar Designs
* Sherry Shish @ Powered by Quilting
We are lucky to have amazing sponsors on board with some fabulous prizes for this QAL! In addition, many of the block designers are donating quilt patterns for the prize packages.
There will be a prize drawing at the end of each segment and then a grand prize drawing at the end of the whole QAL. The prizes are open to participants who are at least 18 years old.
To be eligible to win a segment prize, you need to make all of the blocks from that segment. Then share a photo (or photos) of your blocks in a single post to be entered in the drawing at the end of each segment. We are currently in Segment 1 which includes Blocks 1-5 and will run from March 12-May 20. So plan to post for the Segment 1 prize drawing after Block 5, between May 7 and May 20.
To be eligible to win the grand prize, you need to make all 13 blocks and turn them into a quilt top or other projects. Quilt tops don't need to be quilted, but projects do need to be finished. Share a single post at the end of the quilt along that shows all of the blocks in a quilt top or other projects. It doesn't matter how many projects or what projects you make, or how many blocks you use in each project, as long as you show that you have used all 13 blocks in a finished quilt top or projects.
How to Enter the Prize Drawings
There are three places you can share your blocks to be entered in the random prize drawings. Each participant will only be entered once in each drawing, even if you post in multiple places.
- Facebook - share your blocks in the Partners in Design Facebook Group
- Instagram - Share your blocks with hashtag #SewLetsQAL
- Blog Linky - The hosts will share a link-up on their wrap-up posts at the end of each segment.