I Wish You a Merry Quilt-A-Long: Block 1
It is kick-off time for the I Wish You a Merry Quilt-A-Long! Are you ready? Block 1 is an absolutely beautiful appliqué snowflake pattern designed by Vanda Chittenden. You can find the pattern and tutorial on her blog Quilt in Piece. If you are new to the QAL take a look at this post for all the background information. It is not too late to join in! I really loved making my version of this block.
Fabric ChoiceI am pulling fabrics as I make each of the QAL blocks, making up the plan as I go along because that is how I roll. Originally I thought I would make a white snowflake on the blue fabric, but I worried that the dark background would shadow through the white so I switched it up. Snowflakes can be blue, right? There is no wrong way to approach fabric choices in this QAL -- do what makes you happy!
My Tips for the BlockI have never done fusible appliqué before. I know, where have I been! So first I appliquéd a few test shapes just to make sure I understood the process. Vanda's instructions were easy to follow and made me feel confident. Below is what I learned about fusible appliqué. I would love to see additional hints and questions in the comments.
- I didn't have any appliqué paper (or really even know what appliqué paper is) but I found some Lite Steam-A-Seam 2 at my local quilt shop that worked well. There are other brands out there and they are all basically a fusible web of glue with paper on both sides of the glue layer.
- Match the thread color to the appliqué piece, not the background fabric.
- Hold the thread tails at the start of stitching to avoid thread nests on the back.
- I stitched down the appliqué pieces with a small zig zag stitch close to the edge. I used 1.0 length and 1.0 width on my machine, but you probably don't need to go quite that small.
- Go slow, particularly around circles and when coming up to a corner.
- Make sure you pivot on corners with the needle on the outside of the zig zag.
- Vanda gave instructions for quilt-as-you-go, which is a smart strategy, but I am going to wait to quilt the whole quilt top.
Enter the Prize GiveawayThe prize bundle for Block 1 is a fabulous Aurifil thread box and a PDF pattern from designer Vanda Chittenden of Quilt in Piece. Wow! To be entered in the prize drawing just post a picture of your finished Block 1 in one of three places:
- Facebook Group
- Instagram with hashtag #iwishyouamerryqal
- Or link up your post of your finished block with the linky party on the designer's blog Quilt in Piece.