For Block 4 of the Sew Let’s Quilt Along Bobbi Bridgeman is giving us two different spool blocks to choose from! I chose to make her Spinning Spools block. You can find both block patterns and tutorials on her website at Snowy Days Quilting. If you are just discovering this quilt along you can find more information in my Sew Let’s Quilt Along Introduction Post.
My go-to Blueberry Park fabrics worked really well with this block. I used a different fabric for each spool and I am tickled with how they look on the dark gray background. Making makes me happy!
My Tips for Block 4
- This block has lots of pieces, some as small as 7/8″, but there are not many seams to match up which makes the piecing pretty easy. I followed Bobbi’s advice to starch the fabric before cutting. Starch makes fabric behave!
- Once again it really is important to have an accurate 1/4″ seam allowance. We’re hitting this point frequently in this QAL! I keep my 1/4″ test piece marked with my machine settings pinned on a board above my machine.
- I also pay attention to how the fabric is lined up with my foot. As the fabric feeds through I keep just a tiny bit showing to the right of the foot. That way I can see that it has not slipped out of control under the foot. This is the same way I lined up the fabric in my test sewing for the accurate quarter inch.
- The only step that I found a bit tricky was trimming the center of the cone (the OJO unit). It helps to fold it in half making a crease down the center of the J piece. Then line up the crease 1 3/4″ from the edge of the ruler to get a 3 1/2″ wide unit.
The absolute best thing is sharing and seeing what everyone is making. Even if you are not keeping up with the schedule or posting for the prize drawings we still want to see what you are making!
You will find announcements and plenty of other quilters to cheer you on in the Partners in Design Facebook Group.
On Instagram you should use #SewLetsQAL on your posts. Be sure to follow the hashtag so you can see what everyone else is making.
More Blocks and Tips from Hosts
Visit the hosts for this block to see a variety of sewing tips and fabric choices from the Partners in Design team.
Abbie Danahy @ Sparkle On!
April Adams @ JANDA Bend Quilts
Becca Fenstermaker @ Pretty Piney Quilts
* Bobbi Bridgeman @ Snowy Days Quilting
Jennifer Fulton @ Inquiring Quilter
Karen Thurn @ Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats
Kathleen McCormick @ Kathleen McMusing
Sandra Healy @ Sandra Healy Designs
Sandy Maxfield @ SandyStar Designs
Sherry Shish @ Powered by Quilting
We are lucky to have amazing sponsors on board with some fabulous prizes for this QAL! In addition, many of the block designers are donating quilt patterns for the prize packages.
There will be a prize drawing at the end of each segment and then a grand prize drawing at the end of the whole QAL. The prizes are open to participants who are at least 18 years old.
To be eligible to win a segment prize, you need to make all of the blocks from that segment. Then share a photo (or photos) of your blocks in a single post to be entered in the drawing at the end of each segment. We are currently in Segment 1 which includes Blocks 1-5 and will run from March 12-May 20. So plan to post for the Segment 1 prize drawing after Block 5, between May 7 and May 20.
To be eligible to win the grand prize, you need to make all 13 blocks and turn them into a quilt top or other projects. Quilt tops don’t need to be quilted, but projects do need to be finished. Share a single post at the end of the quilt along that shows all of the blocks in a quilt top or other projects. It doesn’t matter how many projects or what projects you make, or how many blocks you use in each project, as long as you show that you have used all 13 blocks in a finished quilt top or projects.
How to Enter the Prize Drawings
There are three places you can share your blocks to be entered in the random prize drawings. Each participant will only be entered once in each drawing, even if you post in multiple places.
- Facebook – share your blocks in the Partners in Design Facebook Group
- Instagram – Share your blocks with hashtag #SewLetsQAL
- Blog Linky – The hosts will share a link-up on their wrap-up posts at the end of each segment.