Quilt Along By The Sea Block 2
Are you ready for the second block in the Quilt Along By The Sea? Meet Terry the Turtle, a block designed by Jennifer Fulton. You can find the block pattern on her website at The Inquiring Quilter.
My Version of Block 2
This is my version of Terry the Turtle. It was lots of fun choosing fabrics from my stash for the layers of colors in this pattern. That floral pattern on his face looks a bit too busy to me, but overall I like the colors and contrast in my fabric picks.
My Tips for Block 2
- The appliqué for this block looks complex, but the results are worth it. Being super organized will make it easier.
- Write the pattern letters on your fusible template pieces as you trace them so you can keep track of what goes where.
- Loosely lay out the pieces for each part (head, arms, body) to make sure you see how they are assembled before doing any fusing.
- After fusing each part, loosely lay out all the parts on the background to make sure you see how to center the whole turtle on the background.
- On my block you might have noticed my turtle isn't perfectly centered and that I placed the turtle 1/4" from the edge of the background. Oops, the pattern actually says to place the turtle arms right up to the edge of the background. I think it will work anyway and hey, it suits my "perfectly imperfect" approach to quilting.
More Tips from Hosts
Visit the other segment QAL hosts to get more tips. And don't forget to share your finished block. We love to see what you create!
Segment 1 Hosts
- Abbie Danahy @ Sparkle On!
- Becca Fenstermaker @ Pretty Piney Quilts
- Jennifer Fulton @ Inquiring Quilter
- Karen Thurn @ Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats
- Laura Piland @ Slice of Pi Quilts
- Sherry Shish @ Powered by Quilting
Dream Green 60" x 60" batting from Quilter's Dream. An earth friendly polyester batting made from 100% recycled plastic bottles!
A Fat Quarter fabric bundle of Island Batik "Kismet." This line by Tammy Silver of Tamarinis has a bohemian vibe with vibrant colors!
Six-month subscription to Make Modern, a magazine for quilters, by quilters, filled with beautiful patterns and articles to inspire quilters like us to make more modern quilts!
Plus a PDF pattern of your choice from these designers!