Quilt Along By The Sea Block 5
Block 5 for the Quilt Along By The Sea is a colorful fishy block designed by Sandra Healy. You can find the Heads or Tails? block pattern and tutorial on her website Sandra Healy Designs.
My Version of Block 5
This is my version of Sandra's Heads or Tails? block. It reminded me of the colorful fish that I have seen snorkeling in the Caribbean. Make it your own with your fabric choices and play around with value and contrast so your fish will really pop. My fish don't have eyes yet, poor things. I will embellish with buttons after quilting.
And just for fun, here is the back of my version. It is kind of cool to see the appliqué stitch outlines on the back. Do you appreciate the backs of your quilt blocks?
My Tips for Block 5
With a little bit of piecing and a little bit of fusible appliqué, I think you will find this block comes together easily. My usual tips apply to this pattern.
- Measure the 1" square on the template page to confirm that you have printed it at actual size.
- Be organized and label your appliqué pieces as you cut.
- Lay out all of the pieces to check your composition before you start pressing them down.
- Leave more than 1/4" of open space for the seam allowance around the edge of the 12 1/2" background square.
More Tips from Hosts
Visit the other segment QAL hosts to get more tips. And don't forget to share your finished block. We love to see what you create!
Segment 2 Hosts
- Abbie Danahy @ Sparkle On!
- Becca Fenstermaker @ Pretty Piney Quilts
- Jennifer Fulton @ Inquiring Quilter
- Karen Thurn @ Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats
- Laura Piland @ Slice of Pi Quilts
- Sandra Healy @ Sandra Healy Designs
- Sherry Shish @ Powered by Quilting
A Fat Quarter fabric bundle of the Island Batik line Cascadia by Claudia Pfeil.
Quilters Dream Poly batting; a throw size 60” x 60”. Dream Black is a beautiful true black quilt batting that enhances the integrity, richness, and warmth of vivid and dark fabrics and ‘quilts like a dream’.
A six month subscription to the e-magazine Make Modern. A magazine for quilters, by quilters, filled with beautiful patterns and articles to inspire quilters like us to make more modern quilts!
A PDF pattern of your choice up to $10.00 from these designers: