Quilt Along By The Sea Block 6
Are you ready to get wonky? Block 6 for the Quilt Along By The Sea is a sky full of wonky stars designed by Bobbi Bridgeman. You can find the Stars at Sea block pattern and tutorial on her website Snowy Days Quilting.
My Version of Block 6
This is my version of Bobbi's Stars at Sea block. It reminds me of lounging on my sailboat at night, watching the stars and soaking up the vastness of the universe. Wish I could be there now!
My Tips for Block 6
This block showcases two elements of modern quilts: improvisation in the wonky stars and use of an irregular grid. It definitely pushes my modern quilting joy buttons. When you finish this block you too can call yourself a modern quilter.
- As Bobbi notes in the pattern, it is important to make sure your 1/4" seam allowance is accurate. It really is critical for this block because there are so many different size pieces. If you don't have an accurate 1/4" seam allowance the units will not fit together very well.
- Starch is your friend. Starch your fabric before cutting and you will find that the little pieces are more stable and easier to handle without distorting.
- Make stacks of like pieces as you cut them and label your stacks so you don't get confused.
- Get wonky with it! Fat points, skinny points, long points, short points. The wonky points make the stars look twinkly.
More Tips from Hosts
Visit the other segment QAL hosts to get more tips. And don't forget to share your finished block. We love to see what you create!
Segment 2 Hosts
- Abbie Danahy @ Sparkle On!
- Becca Fenstermaker @ Pretty Piney Quilts
- Jennifer Fulton @ Inquiring Quilter
- Karen Thurn @ Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats
- Laura Piland @ Slice of Pi Quilts
- Sherry Shish @ Powered by Quilting
A Fat Quarter fabric bundle of the Island Batik line Cascadia by Claudia Pfeil.
Quilters Dream Poly batting; a throw size 60” x 60”. Dream Black is a beautiful true black quilt batting that enhances the integrity, richness, and warmth of vivid and dark fabrics and ‘quilts like a dream’.
A six month subscription to the e-magazine Make Modern. A magazine for quilters, by quilters, filled with beautiful patterns and articles to inspire quilters like us to make more modern quilts!
A PDF pattern of your choice up to $10.00 from these designers: