Quilt Along By The Sea Block 7
Block 7 for the Quilt Along By The Sea is available today, and it is a clever one. This deceptively simple Waves Quilt Block was designed by Laura Piland. You can find the block pattern and tutorial on her website Slice of Pi Quilts.
My Version of Block 7
Laura has such a knack for designs with a graphic punch. I totally enjoyed making my version of the Waves Quilt Block, and since blue greens are my favorite colorway I followed Laura's color lead.
My Tips for Block 7
- Be as creative as you want with your color choices. You don't have to stick with solids or with one color family unless that speaks to you.
- I suggest checking a greyscale photo of your wave fabrics against your background fabric to make sure you have good value contrast.
- The only tricky thing about this block is cutting the curvy waves. My best tip for cutting curves is to hold the scissors still and move the paper or fabric. Your curves will be so much smoother!
More Tips from Hosts
Visit the other segment QAL hosts to get more tips. And don't forget to share your finished block. We love to see what you create!
Segment 2 Hosts
- Abbie Danahy @ Sparkle On!
- Becca Fenstermaker @ Pretty Piney Quilts
- Jennifer Fulton @ Inquiring Quilter
- Karen Thurn @ Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats
- Laura Piland @ Slice of Pi Quilts
- Sherry Shish @ Powered by Quilting
See my initial Quilt Along By The Sea blog post to review the QAL schedule and details on how the prize drawings will work. Also keep up with our Partners in Design Facebook Group for announcements.
A Fat Quarter fabric bundle of the Island Batik line Cascadia by Claudia Pfeil.
Quilters Dream Poly batting; a throw size 60” x 60”. Dream Black is a beautiful true black quilt batting that enhances the integrity, richness, and warmth of vivid and dark fabrics and ‘quilts like a dream’.
A six month subscription to the e-magazine Make Modern. A magazine for quilters, by quilters, filled with beautiful patterns and articles to inspire quilters like us to make more modern quilts!
A PDF pattern of your choice up to $10.00 from these designers:
- Laura of Slice of Pi Quilts
- Sandra of Sandra Healy Designs